Tuesday, March 4, 2008

I'm Done

If you know me, you have surely heard me say, "if Mark did not cook, we would not eat".
And although I laugh at that phrase, I truly wish it were not true.
I would LIKE to cook for my family.
I would LIKE for my family to eat what I cook for them.
And I would LIKE for mealtime to be a pleasant time around the table.
Ya, not so much.
So tonight I baked some chicken in the oven (thanks to Angela reminding for how long & at what temperature), and I also baked up some home=made sweet potato fries, and corn to round it all out.
Mark made his own sauce to cover the taste of what I had marinated. After I took the chicken out of the oven, he pronounced it was not quite done, and cooked it some more. And then he broiled his fries differently than I had done for us. Isabella told me the corn was cold.
And when we left the table, Isabella & Lisi had drank their milk...and that was about it.
So, I am done.
Mark has told me on NUMEROUS occasions that he enjoys cooking, and that I do not need to worry about it. But I have felt bad about that. I am home, and I should have a meal ready for my family. But, as of tonight, I am done.
And that is my Tuesday rant and confession.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

aw, phooey. it would be nice if your family enjoyed (or at least humored you!) the occassional meal you make for them, huh? :-) at the same time, if someone else could be 'in charge' of putting dinner on the table and i could just make fun stuff for my own pleasure whenever i wanted, that would be AWESOME! if michael was suddenly granted magical culinary powers, i would drop my spatula in a heartbeat and let him make dinner every night. i'd just make stuff for fun. ideal.

Jena said...

I heard something on Martha the other day that caught my attention...Cooking is not a talent, it is an interest! This was so encouraging to me. I WANT to be a really good cook, but I have had so many disasters and it leaves me feeling like a terrible cook/hostess! I am guessing it is just one of those things where lots of practice makes perfect?

Jena said...

...and btw your Chicken and Rice is amazing!!!

Anonymous said...

Girl, you have taken the words out of my mouth....I feel your pain!!!

becky said...

can you say crock pot?!!! by far the best invention for those of us who for one reason or another are challenged in the kitchen. it's a fantastic way to have a yummy dinner and not have to do a whole lot of work.

Angela said...

We have a rule in our family: Don't criticize the cook.
If you don't like it, don't eat it - but you better not say a word about it.
There's just nothing more frustrating than spending the time and energy to prepare a meal and have it rejected/criticized.
Be done! And, don't feel one bit guilty about it. Mark has already released you from that. It works for your family - run with it.

Lori Eilers said...

Maybe you should have an official ceremony to induct Mark as the main Main chef. You know, maybe a new apron or spatula to show him how welcome he is to take over dinner time! Don't fight it or feel guilty...he offered. Hang in there.

amain said...

WOW! I had no idea this topic would inspire so much conversation...and empathy:)
PL~ I LOVE your idea of having an 'induction ceremony' for Mark. Honestly, it would be more for me than for him. Angela is right, Mark has released me of this 'obligation', but I have still tried to hang on to it. And for what reason, I have NO idea.
So with a smile on my face, I say, "If Mark did not cook, we would not eat!"
Thank you, my friends!