Saturday, February 23, 2008

Mom Lesson #123

HAPPINESS IS FOUND AT HOME
I have had sick kiddos home from school all this week. Not terrible, pukey sick. Just high fevers and the occasional sniffle sick. A perfect time to just hang out on the couch. And they were sick for long enough that I 'used' that time to clean out some closets, tidy my craft room, organize the pantry and other odd & ends that I usually only wish I had the time to do.
By about Day 4 I woke up ready to tackle another project while the girls rested on the couch, and I realized that there really was nothing of significance left to do.
So I sat down inbetween my 2 sweet girls, wrapped an arm around each of them, had a cozy blanket over the 3 of us, and settled in for a day of cartoons.
It was so lovely that I was secretly THRILLED when they woke up a little feverish the next day and we could do it all over again:)
But by Day 7, everyone was fever-free and ready to get out of this house!
Isabella had a GREAT idea to go to Build A Bear, so we all got cleaned up, got out of pajamas for the first time in a week, and off we went....
Build A Bear, a couple of errands, and lunch at the mall later, and the 'warm fuzzies' that I had been feeling for my family earlier in the week were gone.
I came home with frazzled nerves....and 2 whiny girls, to boot.

Where had I gone wrong????

As I was climbing into bed last night, I realized that I had gone wrong in leaving the bliss of our home.
Sometimes my Mom job WILL include being a chauffer and similar tasks, but the most important aspect of this job is, well, simply being a mom.
This week of sickness was a simple week.
no carpool, no school, no Life Group, no Sparks, no birthday parties, no play dates, and until Friday, no trips to the mall.
As I was climbing into bed last night, I realized that
HAPPINESS IS FOUND AT HOME

3 comments:

hahainlala said...

Wait on second....you have have a craft ROOM?!?!? I am SOOOO moving into your house!!!

I am so glad to hear that everyone is finally feeling better and I agree happiness is found at home (okay, and occasionally at Target too!)

Love,
yfc
xoxo

Unknown said...

i agree, i have found happiness at Target too, especially this week (ha!).....but as my friend Sara posted once on her blog, "There is joy in the mundane if you can find it." i totally agree. weeks at home have taught me to enjoy the simpler (free!) stuff. the way Reese's smile is changing & her speech becoming more articulate. Liam's cheeks & legs getting chubbier....and the content feeling i get when it's really cold outside & Michael comes home for the night. ah. it's so good!

Angela said...

I couldn't agree more! This past year has been a giant shift into *LIFE SIMPLIFIED* for us and I am amazed at just how much we all truly enjoy it!