Friday, January 4, 2008

It's a HuckaBOOM

Now I know how sports fans feel after a big game.  I am just PUMPED!!  Difference is I only get this rush once every 4 years.  Well, no, I take that back.  I will be up until the wee hours of the night on Nov 11th, too:)  Still, it is not the same as having all eyes on Iowa.  Really, I just love this!!
It's a bummer that there is already so much negative commentary going on about Huckabee.  I am trying to keep it in perspective, though.  If Romney had won the caucus last night, I would be having a tough time with it today.  But what bums me out about what is being said about Huckabee is that so much of it is, quite simply, half-truths and assumptions.
For example, I have heard ALOT of talk about how the majority of his support comes from Evangelical Christians.  Well, that is great.  But in all of this process, I have never once been asked to fill out a form that says anything to the effect that "I am a Mike Huckabee supporter, and I am an Evangelical Christian", so how can the media be reporting such a statistic??  (What gets me more fired up, though, are those touting that he is 'not Christian enough'.  What is that suppose to mean???)
I am also tired of hearing how many prison sentences he commuted, or people he pardoned.  Now, I do not know the specifics of these cases, but my understanding is that 1) Huckabee does believe in the potential for rehabilitation of offenders, and 2) in order for some of these people to get a job and be productive, contributing members of our society, they needed their Governor to say that he would vouch for them.  That said, after becoming Governor mid-term, he went on to be elected by the people of Arkansas on his own merit...TWICE.  
And when Huckabee entered the Governor's office, there was a $250 million deficit in the state.  When he left 10 years later, there was an $800 million surplus, schools were better, and roadways were no longer among the worst in the nation.  The people of Arkansas voted on raising taxes for these improvements.  The roadways, as they were when he took office (which had previously been occupied by Bill Clinton), were so bad that truckers would take other routes, and this, therefore, had a negative impact on the economy of Arkansas.  The citizens of the state recognized this, and voted to do something about it.
Whew!  I am breathing easier:)
These are just a few examples of how I see Huckabee being mis-represented in the media and in the campaign race.
I am so looking forward to seeing how he works his way thru the remainder of this marathon!!

5 comments:

hahainlala said...

Okay, not sure when Huckabee was Governor of Arkansas, but I have been on those roads and they are BAD!!!! This coming from a girl who lives in CA and driving on our highway is like going off roading:):):)

Love,
yfc

ps. I am still laughing that the IA caucus was not the top news story here...
1) Brit's meltdown and standoff
2) Storm Watch 2008 -side note: it is 12:15 and still no rain...great storm watch!
3) IA Caucus- Biggest focus of this part of the news cast..."can you name the Quad Cities". The answer was no. No joke this went on for about 5 minutes before someone got it right:):):)

amain said...

Huckabee was Governor from 1996- Jan 2007.
And as much as I should just leave this alone and not even mention it, I cannot name the Quad Cities. I thought that was just the name:)

Angela said...

AMEN, Sista!!!
I wish people would do their OWN research about the candidates and stop believing everything they read in their junk mail or on TV ads!! Way to get the FACTS out on our man! He IS a conservative ... one who took over a MESS from Mr. Popular Democrat Bill Clinton ... AND FIXED IT! Yikes...you've got my blood pumpin'!!
BTW, I'm cracking up laughing at the news story line-up in CA. Its so easy to forget that not everyone is being bombarded the way we are here. Even my typically not-at-all-interested-in-politics-and-rarely-voting husband is pumped!

Chef Stinson Family said...

Amen Amy (I was going to put "Sista", but I see Angela beat me to it!)

Are you not super pumped up STILL from Thursday night? Drew and I had a blast at the caucus! We were first timers and we loved every minute of it. Especially when our precinct announced Mike Huckabee as the winner. VICTORY!!!

Unknown said...

thanks for addressing the stuff i've been seeing on the ads against Huckabee...Michael & I were wondering about that stuff...

i woke up on Friday morning, nursing Liam in the hospital and watching CNN to seewho won the caucases...as soon as I saw that Huck won I immediately thought of you, knowing you'd be over the moon! :-)