Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Happy Birthday PaPa, We Love You!








When I took that 1st picture of Isabella and my Dad at her 4th birthday party, I labeled it 'blackmail'. I did not blog then, and had no idea when it would come in handy, but now it has! The next pix was taken later that same month at Paige & Murf's wedding, then the next summer when Alex came home from 2 months in Spain, water fun at Lake Panorama (have any of you EVER seen my Dad without glasses???), and finally, at Alex's White Coat Ceremony last August in Iowa City. So much fun, love, and great memories. Dad, here is YOUR birthday list!

  • My Dad is one of the most hilarious people I have ever known, but, trust me on this, he cannot tell a joke
  • He LOVES his job as an ophthalmologist.
  • He loves being PaPa to Isabella and Lisi even more:)
  • This summer he will celebrate 30 years in practice, AND 30 years of marriage!!!
  • Although he has lived in LA, London and St Louis, he is truly an "Iowa boy" at heart
  • Cars and 'kicking tires' are his hobby
  • My Dad still owns the 1st car he ever bought on his own~ a 1974 Pontiac Grand Prix (and Mark added, maybe the newspaper that came with it ...hee,hee,hee)
  • My Dad LOVES to jet ski (the faster the better!)
  • He can water ski all of Lake Panorama and back again
  • My Dad and I are great going out to dinner together~ he eats all the beef, and I eat all the veggies
  • He is known as a doctor who prescribes plenty of "Vitamin C~ Vitamin Chocolate"
  • Eye ointment will cure what ails you, from a squeaky bike chain to a broken heart
  • He has a secret stash of GUM (and clothes, and newspapers, and napkins, and dry roasted peanuts)
  • He is an amazing and loving son, brother, husband, Dad, doctor, friend and, of course, PaPa
I don't think I have ever had as much fun or laughed so hard thinking of a birthday list. Thanks for everything, Dad, we love you!!!


Heather said...

Just a few things I think you forgot to mention about the "birthday boy"....

1. His orange plaid pants that a store "gave" him for being a good customer and your mom threatening divorce if he ever wore them. Am I the only one who remembers this??? I think it happend about 25 years ago:).

2. I swear he looks just like Ozzy Osbourne when he gets off the jet ski. Not sure if it the crazy hair or just that crazy look in his eyes:):):)

3. Uncle Mike looks "smashing" in the red boa.

4. He thinks there is too much traffic in WDM....clearly he has not been to LA in a VERY long time. We could really show him the meaning of traffic.

5. One of my favorite all time memories (and I don't just mean an "Uncle Mike" memory). Is spending the day with Uncle MIke and Alex wandering around DC and ending up at Jonny Rockets for a milkshake. Which leads me to #6...

6. Not many people would take a day out of there vaction to DC to help a relative move, but that is exactly what Mike (and Di, and Alex and Sha) did for me:)

And last, but not least....

7. Miss Amy forgot to add "Amazing Uncle" to her list.

Happy Birthday Uncle Mike!!!!
We love you whole bunches out here in LA!!!!
Love,
Heather, Nick and Emma
xoxo

April 23, 2007 10:00 PM

Delete
amain said...

oh my gosh!!! That is the BEST 'comment blog' I have ever read! Only 1 correction: the FREE pants were, I believe, solid orange, where as the PLAID pants were red & green, and bought & paid for. And when I started working downstairs from my Dad's office, I introduced myself to the maintenance guy in the building and told him who my Dad was, and the maintenance guy said, "You mean the doctor who wears those plaid pants???"

April 24, 2007 6:09 AM

Grandma Mary said...

Amy, obviously I loved the blog. That first picture with Iz is one of my all-time favorites. And the one with Alex. He's the greatest son anyone could ever have - you're lucky and so are we! Love, GiGi

April 24, 2007 8:01 AM

No comments: