Monday, April 23, 2007

If you gave a Mom a muffin...

A friend of mine just blogged about a term that she learned:
WILFing (derived from the phrase, "what was I looking for")
It is when you sit down at your computer to, say, pay a bill, then you notice that you have e-mail, so you decide to check that, and someone mentions something to you and you decide to do a Google search, which leads you to a website you have never been to before, ...
Personally, I was glad to know that if there is a word for it, then I cannot be the only one who does that...and ultimately forgets to pay the bill that I originally set out to do:)
But it also reminded me of one of my all-time favorite e-mails that I got from a fellow Mom:

If you give a mom a muffin,

She'll want a cup of coffee to go with it.
She'll pour herself some.
Her three-year-old will spill the coffee.
She'll wipe it up.
Wiping the floor, she'll find dirty socks.
She'll remember she has to do laundry.
When she puts the laundry in the washer,
She'll trip over boots and bump into the freezer.
Bumping into the freezer will remind her
she has to plan for supper.
She will get out a pound of hamburger.
She'll look for her cookbook
("101 Things To Do With a Pound of Hamburger").
The cookbook is setting under a pile of mail.
She will see the phone bill, which is due tomorrow.
She will look for her checkbook.
The check book is in her purse
that is being dumped out by her two-year-old.
She'll smell something funny.
She'll change the two-year-old's diaper.
While she is changing the diaper, the phone will ring.
Her five-year-old will answer and hang up.
She'll remember she wants to phone a friend for coffee.
Thinking of coffee will remind her
that she was going to have a cup.
And chances are... If she has a cup of coffee,
Her kids will have eaten the muffin that went with it.

And by the way, I sat down at the computer to, well, OK, I have no idea what I originally sat down to do, but I did check e-mail, which prompted me to check my calendar to make a dinner date, and the calendar is in the laundry room, so I put wet clothes in the dryer and hung some up to line dry, which put me in the girls bathroom, which reminded me to give them a tubby, and while they were playing in the tub I decided I had time to catch up on some blogs, which is when I read about WILFing, and I decided to update my own blog, which I am doing, and as I am thinking about how in the world I remembered the 'If you give a Mom a muffin' e-mail and the chain of events that led to posting this blog, I remembered that my kids are still in the tub...

6 comments:

becky said...

too funny, I had to post that when I saw it. Somedays I have to avoid my computer all together if I don't have atleast 15 minutes to wilf... :)

Jenn said...

I was so glad to read that on Becky's blog and know that I am not the only one to get lost.

amain said...

WHAT?!? You can go an entire day without your computer?!? Oh, I DO have a problem! Is there such a thing as Internet Anonymous??? I need help, but I don't want help:) I like my addiction:)

hahainlala said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
hahainlala said...

Amy, I think I will be joining you at IA (not Iowa, but Inernet Anonymous). Of course my guilty mind read the title of your blog "If you gave a mom a muffin..." and the 1st thing that popped into my mind was "muffin top" and that I needed to go on a diet and maybe put down the rootbeer float I am currently eating...drinking...whatever!!!! Do I need therapy?!?! Maybe just weight watchers:):)

Love,
yfc Heather
xoxo

Dara said...

I love this!!!