Monday, October 1, 2007

Aunt Matilda

Mark's Great Aunt Matilda died this past week at the age of 100.
She had been living in CA for years, but her family is bringing her home to Grinnell to be buried. The Pierce family (Mark's Dad's Mom's family) owned a farm in Grinnell. When the Interstate went thru, it divided the farm. The Pierce family donated a chunk of land to their church. It is that land that has the cemetery where Mark's Mom, Kay, is buried, and where Matilda will also be buried. And that is the church where Missy & Glenn were married 12 years ago. I have met many of these CA relatives at a family reunion (Estes Park) and just think the world of them. So we are meeting family in Grinnell for dinner tomorrow night, and then will go back for the funeral on Wednesday.
I was telling Isabella our plans, and telling her how special Matilda was (she danced the Charleston at the reunion just 5 years ago!) and how we were going to her funeral where she will be buried.
And Isabella asks me, "How can someone be buried AND go to live with Jesus?"
wow.
That sweet girl really stretches my own understanding.
But it was good to talk to her about that although on the outside she is so cute and has a left 'elf' ear like her Daddy, and a 'wonky' toe like Grandma Kay had, those things are just on the outside and will be buried when she dies.
But the person that she is on the inside~ how she cares about people, and always wants to lend a helping hand and how she loves Jesus~ that is who she is on the inside, and that is who will go to Heaven to live with Jesus.
She kind of nodded her head like she understood. My guess is that we have not finished that conversation...

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, what an explanation. I think you did really good. Questions like that can be so hard to answer...

Melinda said...

Oh sweet friend...don't those conversations just blow you away? How beautifully you handled it! I had a friend that explained it to her daughter by having her daughter put on a glove. She had her wiggle her fingers and wave her hand, talking about how the glove was only able to move and look lively when the hand was on the inside. When she took it off, the glove just laid there, lifeless. She, of course, explained that our bodies are just the gloves that God uses to keep our souls warm and protected until He brings the soul home, tucking the body away, like the glove, after a job well done.

hahainlala said...

Okay...when Emma starts asking me all of these really hard to answer questions I am SOOO putting her on the phone with Favorite Cousin Amy!!! Golly jeepers...you are GOOD!!!!

Love,
yfc
xoxo

Ps. If you are not available could I have Melinda's number?!?! I loved her friends explanation too:):)

Unknown said...

that is a fantastic and sweet conversation to have! i hope i remember to explain it that well when reese asks someday!

amain said...

I just have to brag on Melinda herself for a moment...she is Mom to our still very missed babysitter Emmie. Melinda has been an amazing role-model to me as I raise these 2 sweet girls!

CORRECTION: Although Matilda was at the reunion 5 years ago, it was her younger sister Ethel Mae who danced the Charleston:)

Melinda said...

Y'all are just too darn sweet! Thank you for your kind words. :o) But please don't think I do everything right - just ask my girls! I'm just a little further down the road where hind-sight truly is 20/20, and the wisdom given me by MY role models is starting to come to fruition. That business about mentoring in Titus 2:3-5 is there for a reason (just like everything else in the Bible!).

Lori Eilers said...

Good job Amy. You beter be on your toes at all times with Iz...she's a smart girl and spiritually mayure for an almost 6 year old. Sorry about Matilda but sounds like you all have some sweet memories.

Jenn said...

Wow I probably would have just been sitting there like UHHHHHH, then I would have said go ask Dad.