Sunday, March 11, 2007

Alex and Lance




ARGH!!! I just wrote my entire post, and then lost it trying to flip the picture of Lisi to be the right direction. ARGH!!! I know I should learn to 'save' everything, but why can't it just be sitting on my desktop somewhere?!?
So Uncky Alex and Mr Lance came over for dinner tonight. Mark and I love having family and friends, and friends who are like family, over to eat and feed them well. College students are an easy mark~ they will eat just about anything that anyone is offering:-) But when Alex comes over with his friends, a good time is to be had by all. Isabella and Lisi have such fun showing them all that they have learned; Alex and friends are light-hearted enough to just join in on the fun. So tonight Lisi was dressing up for us (you are going to have to about stand on your head to see the picture, but I am NOT trying to mess with it again.) Alex and girls were being silly, and Lisi was happy to show Mr Lance the jammies she had decided to wear.
Somehow this all flowed really well in the post that disappeared into a cyber-black hole, but what I really want to add is about Lance's Dad. Lance now attends West Point, but grew up just behind my parent's house. He has kind of been a fixture for as many years as I can remember. About 2 weeks ago, his Dad died suddenly and unexpectedly. I did not know his Dad, but after attending his funeral services, I think it was my loss not to have known him. His Dad was a principled man. And one of the things that Lance said about his Dad, I have shared with several people in the past couple of weeks, and now I will share it with you. Lance said that with most people you have to earn their trust. With his Dad, you had to lose it. His Dad chose to trust. And in this culture, where doing business on a hand-shake does not exist, I think his choice is to be admired. I did not know Lance's Dad, but his example has influenced me...through the words spoken by his son.
Tomorrow morning, like at 6:45 am!!!, Mark, Alex and Mr Matt are leaving for Telluride. I usually go on this annual Spring Break ski-trip, but this year it is 'boys only'. I am keeping the camera with me, so I might have to post pictures from years past of their adventures, but I am thinking that the girls and I will have adventures of our own this week. Stay tuned...

No comments: