Thursday, March 15, 2007

On Being Home




I am home. Isabella, Lisi and I drove to Kirkwood on Wednesday afterschool, and I am home. We are staying with my grandparents, who have lived in their same home since 1954, and I just feel like I am home. Even though my Grandma just had the kitchen gutted and remodeled (thank you Pastor Josh!) it feels like it just never changes here. It always has the same smell, and I love it. I lived here for awhile when I was 5 years old, and caught the bus to Kindergarten from here. With Isabella excited to begin Kindergarten in the Fall, it was fun telling her that this is where I went to school, and showing her how I walked up Horseshoe Drive and up Lark with Jenny Duncan and her sister to catch the bus. I remember one winter day when we were SO cold walking home from the bus, and her older sister telling us that if we ran we would be warmer, and me telling her that, no, we would only get home sooner where we would be warmer. But not bad reasoning for a 5 year old:) And I told Iz that this is the house where Grammy lived when SHE went to Kindergarten. Oh, if only I could always remember the look on her face! Absolute astonishment. It was so cute. After my 1st grade year we moved to Des Moines, but my Mom, brother and I continued to come back 'home' once or twice a year, well, I guess until I graduated from high school. Then when I was 23 I decided to move to St Louis, and lived with my Grandparents for 1.5 years. It sounds crazy to do that just when a person is so ready to be independent, but I look back on that time as some of my very best memories. I was going back to college and taking science classes. It was so fun to come home and have grandpa waiting to hear what I had learned. I loved that! And as I was making friends and going out more, it was good to get style advice from my Grandma. Again, sounds crazy to get fashion tips from your Grandma, but if you have met my Grandma, you know what I am talking about:) Actually, I will post my favorite pix of my Grandma and me. It was taken at Paige & Murf's wedding just over a year ago. also, I should note that the pix of Isabella is from last summer, but it is of her riding the ride trike down my Grandparent's driveway, and that picture just brings back MEMORIES!!! So it has become so important for me to share all of this with Isabella and Lisi. I think I have brought them each down once a year, and more if I think I can make the drive (LOL)!!! It is also great that my cousins, so, again, I ask, are they 2nd cousins once removed to my girls???, anyway, my cousins who live here are closer in age to my girls than to me, and they have SUCH fun playing together!!! I will be sure to get current pix for my next post.
As for the snow bums in Telluride~ have not heard much from them this week. I am trying to not take it personally:) Last I heard, though, the weather was gorgeous and it was a good time being had by all.

No comments: