Tuesday, November 13, 2007

another Lisi update

I have to say, people that I did not even know read this blog have asked about Lisi's privileges! Guess it strikes a common chord...even those without kids remember the days of having privileges revoked.
So here is the scoop: Lisi continues to have jammies, shoes (including pink crocs) and some art work in her room. YEAH!! She is desperate to get all of her clothes back, and each time she asks, I remind her that is a BIG privilege, and she needs to show me that she can handle it. And each day there is another meltdown. But for the most part, it is pretty much one good meltdown a day, I remind her she will not get her clothes back that day, and then we go on.
Today, however, she must have been really tired or something, but there were MAJOR meltdowns all day.
Like a total meltdown over the shirt I put out for her to wear.
And that was not even 8am!!
So she did lose the privilege of playing with friends at Mom's Group, which, as Jenn pointed out, is as much of a punishment for me as it is for her:(
But we made it through the day, and I am optimistic that she is back on track.
Point to all of this: There really is truth in the notion that kids act out because they have privileges beyond what they can handle. Scale back the privileges, and everything is a privilege, wait (and wait and wait and wait) for the behavior problems to subside, and then gradually add back the privileges as they show you they can handle them.
Woo Hoo to good advice!!!
PS: It is driving Isabella CRAZY that she does not know where Lisi's clothes are! She keeps asking me, and saying, "I promise I won't tell her".
For some reason, that in and of itself, is cracking me up.

No comments: