Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Boundaries by Drs Cloud & Townsend

Many posts ago I blogged about this awesome book that I had started reading. Boundaries, by Drs Cloud & Townsend. Oh my goodness. SUCH a good book. But in the business of life, I had put it down for several weeks. I picked it up again the other day, and something I read has just really stuck with me, and so I am going to share:)
To paraphrase, everyone needs more than God and a best friend in their lives. This allows the other people in your life to be human. Everyone gets busy. Everyone has an 'off' day. But if you only have God and a best friend in your life, and you call your best friend for help of any kind, and they are not available, you feel totally let down. But with a community of friends and support, when you need help, you just call someone else.
Doesn't that just make total sense??? But I can think back on countless times when I have asked for help from someone, and they, for whatever reason, were not able to be there for me right then, and I felt totally let down. Even abandoned. In hindsight, however, I was not respecting their right to say "no".
A girlfriend has also recommended Boundaries with Kids. Any guess what I will be reading next???

No comments: