Monday, June 25, 2007

Pony Pix




When we started this 'horse experience' a few weeks ago, I clearly said to Megan, the instructor, (and myself) that there was no showing a horse or buying a horse in our future. And Megan and I were both good with that! ...until I saw Isabella ride. Oh my goodness. This is a fun experience for Lisi, and for that I am thrilled. My "don't let that animal (dog, cat, bird, horse) get close to me" girl is totally comfortable atop a horse, and even getting good with the barn cats that wander around. And that is such a good thing. But Isabella. Oh my goodness. She looks more comfortable and at ease on that horse than she does on her own two legs. Can you tell that I am a proud Momma???
My dear friend, Melinda, who is herself an 'equine mom', gave me full disclosure of what our future WOULD hold. She did not say, "if Isabella likes it, you might someday own a horse and go to an occasional show". What she said was You will eventually have to buy, house and feed at least one animal, along with vet bills and farriers. You will be driving back and forth to the barn a lot - daily, if you have her take care of her own animal, in lieu of paying the boarder to handle it for you. There might be a horse trailer in your future or even your own barn (and all the stuff that goes along with that). It has been wonderful for Maddie - don't get me wrong - but I just want you to be fully aware of what you might be getting yourself in to. (18 May 2007) Now, in all fairness, she did also recommend that we start by having a cat in our family before we bring in a horse. But you get the idea.
I especially love the picture of Isabella taking the lead with Lisi on Frisky. So totally at ease.

3 comments:

Melinda said...

Oh...I remember those days! Looks like you might indeed be in this for the long haul - that little Isabella can really "sit a horse"! She has perfect posture and looks born for the ring; it would be impossible not to be very proud! Start saving those pennies! :o)

Lori Eilers said...

I'm SOOO proud of Lisi! Look at her. I remember the first time she saw my cat, her little face was so tense and frightened and she is now on a pony! Both your girls amaze me. Would hay be a future birthday gift at the Main household?

Melinda said...

Any and all horse accoutrement will be a welcome gift for ALL future holidays at the Mains! :o)