Friday, June 15, 2007

Today's Church

I have referenced Perry Noble before, and I am going to do it again. I just like the way this guy presents the Gospel. NewSpring Church is in Anderson, SC, and let me tell you, Perry Noble is ON FIRE for the youth of all of Anderson. It is amazing.
A few weeks ago he made a GREAT point: Many of the 'mature' Christians he knows say they would do anything to 'save' their child, nephew, or some young person that they know. But these same people will not change their style of music or worship on Sunday morning. HELLO! If you want to reach the young people, you need to 'speak their language'. Now, I will admit that it took me awhile (like more than a year) to really 'get good' with contemporary worship on Sunday morning. But I liked where we were attending church (other than the contemporary worship part), so I just 'went with it'. But I will tell you what, now I LOVE it! I still enjoy the occasional hymn, but what I listen to all week long is contemporary worship music (and the occasional hymn). And overall, it solidifies to me that I am the same person Monday- Saturday that I am on Sunday morning. Does that make sense???
So back to Perry Noble. I just read another great comment from him, and that is this:
The youth are NOT the church of tomorrow…they are the church of today…and we are going to do all we can to reach as many as we can…the best is yet to come!!!
In his words, "DANG!" So often I hear people talking about what will come of the church of the future, and I lovingly look toward my girls. Lisi with her charismatic way, and Isabella with her unbelievable ability to memorize scripture. But, you know, aren't they living out what Christ commanded each of us to do? Aren't they living a life that is pleasing to Him and others? If it does not begin now, when should we 'say' that it begins? As an adult? When you turn 18?
Just a little easy reading to give you something to think about on a beautiful Friday afternoon...

2 comments:

Lori Eilers said...

I NEVER miss Perry Noble. This guy is on it! I would love to visit his church sometime. His pod casts are awesome. His children's pastor is a blog buddy of mine.

amain said...

I thought of you, the BEST Children's Pastor EVER, when I was writing about how our youth ARE the church of today. Again, thank you for ALL that you do...and for turning me on to Perry Noble! I say we make a trip out of Anderson, and bring him a latte from Starbucks!!!