Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Alaskan cruise





After a lovely few days in Seattle, we boarded the Oosterdam to begin a fabulous 7 day Alaskan cruise with Focus on the Family. Mark and I have vacationed with Focus before, and we knew this would be an amazing adventure, and it was! Not only did we meet some really great people, but we explored land that really does need to be explored to be appreciated. I had not done much research before our trip (because I knew that Focus would have a phenomenal plan) and I was truly surprised at all that I saw and learned.
I think most significant was realizing just how HUGE the state of Alaska is, and to cruise the southeastern edge of the state does not even come close to doing it justice. I also had not realized that most of Alaska is a temperate rain forest. And on that note, Mark and I really had not planned on the shear amount of rain that we had. In hindsight, not a big deal. But at the time, it did hinder our sight seeing. No worries, though! We still experienced plenty!
The pictures are of Mark and I before dinner at The Pinnacle Grill with Dr James & Shirley Dobson, the new president of Focus, Jim Daly, as well as a hundred or so other supporters of Focus on the Family.
Then just a couple of the 'towel animals' greeting us each evening. (these pix are for you Angela!)
And finally a formal evening dinner with Sue & Larry Kingston, our friends from Focus on the Family in Colorado.

3 comments:

Dara said...

Wow - I am just trying to get caught up on all the blogs and do you have some awesome pictures - how awesome that on some very hot days - you had on a huge coat! That's an Iowan's way is it not!!! gotta get in some snow - so beautiful.
hope you had a great time!

Melinda said...

I'm so glad you all did this! What great adventures! How did the girls do without you...big adventures of their own?

Anonymous said...

What's up to all, the contents present at this website are really amazing for people experience, well, keep up the good work fellows.

My webpage diet plans that work