Friday, August 3, 2007

Isabella's Inquiry

As I was putting Isabella to bed tonight, and after we had said prayers, she quietly asked me, "Mom, what does it mean to build your life around something that will last?"
wow.
So I did my best to talk to her about how I have chosen to build my life around God, because He will always last. I told her that some people choose to build their life around their job. With that she wrinkled up her nose. (It was hilarious!)
I told her that some Mom's choose to build their life around their kids, but some day even she and Lisi will get married and leave our home for a family of their own (I shed a few tears), but that God will still be in my life. I told her that it makes God so happy when I spend time with her and Lisi and Daddy, and take care of my family, and that they can be a very important part of my life, but not what I choose to build my life around.
And with that, she said, "Mom, I want to build my life around God. At least, I hope that I do build my life around God."
oh my goodness. more tears. And I assured her that by lending a helping hand, reading the Bible, praying and loving God, she is building her life around Him.
And then she said that she knows Frosty won't last, but she hopes he does for alot longer because she loves him.

Before I left her room for the night, I asked her why she asked me the question. She said that Pastor Lori had talked about it and she thought there was a memory verse about not building your life around something that won't last.
Again, thank you Pastor Lori for being the best children's pastor ever~

5 comments:

Jena said...

You have just put some tears in my own eyes by posting this! I think that is a good reminder for ME to re-evaluate what my life is built around. If our kids can learn this now, how wonderful are their lives going to be?!

amain said...

I'm telling you, I am a better human being for the privilege of being a Mom. And, yes, I hope, and I PRAY!!!, that their lives will be AMAZING~

Lori Eilers said...

Oh thank you for sharing that! We have been talking about being content and we used the verses “I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation.” Philippians 4:11b-12a, NIV and Matthew 6:19-21 NIV "Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth where moth and rust destroy and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven where moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also." I specifically used examples of things I knew the kids loved to explain it and I mentioned Frosty. That Isabella is a sponge for the Word of God! Awesome!

Melinda said...

Oh those sweet bedtime talks...something about that time makes it feel safe to share what's on your mind. I had my best communication with Maddie at bedtime up until she went to college! If it was really important, I was usually summoned up in the middle of the night. It was there that we had the sex talk and there that she asked Jesus to live in her heart. Cherish those times.

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for sharing. Isn't it awesome to see the positive influences come out in their lives. My first moment with jaron like that was very overwhelming, but I felt so privledged to be a MOM!